Tuesday

Blocked Doorways

"The art of life lies in a constant readjustment
to our surroundings."
- Okakura Kakuzo

I was walking around our village the other day when I noticed this blocked up doorway. The funny thing is that it must have always been there and I must have passed it a hundred times and just never noticed it before.

This time it stuck out like a beacon, prompting me to take this picture. It seemed like such a potent image, this place that once allowed access and now is just part of a wall.

My first thought was that the image was so powerful because of what it represented. It was a blocked entrance rendering the doorway impassable. It said STOP, no entry, and all that that symbolised led to my initial thought that it was somehow a negative thing.

Then I let the image sit with me for a while and realised that most blocked doorways are like that because they have outlived their usefulness. They are no longer needed and it is good that most of these old doorways are sealed off, preventing us from going over old ground, revisiting things and places that are no longer ours.

As the saying goes 'One door shuts and another opens' and I am sure that most of those old doorways have now been replaced with new doorways that lead to fresh paths and vistas that are significant and pertinent to those who wish to use them.

"We must be aware not to wait too long at old doorways
for new doorways are always being opened up."

How do you feel when you look at the picture? What is your immediate response?

14 comments:

Mari G said...

Hi Susannah
This is my first time to read your blog.
My first thought on looking at your photo was,... oh an old door blocked up. But on reading your lovely post, I realise that a blocked up door does represent change and moving on. I am inclined to linger over things I cannot change when I should be looking for that other open door. Thanks for the inspiration.
Mari

Susannah said...

Hi Mari, I am glad you found your way here. It's good to meet you. :-)

Jade said...

Wonderful inspiration, Susannah! I've found that it is especially helpful to let go of the past and focus on the new door opening. An ending can lend itself to a new, better start. :-) I like the freshness of this post.

Susannah said...

Thanks Jade!

Good to see you again, thanks for visiting. :-)

Lynda Lehmann said...

My first impulse on looking at the photo is to feel an aversion, as if something is hidden there that I might not want to see.

But your words are so true, and make one ponder the very idea of a "door."

And it's so true too, that as one door closes, others will open.

I enjoyed your post!

Susannah said...

Hi Lynda, when I read your comment I thought, 'ooh yes' when you said that there may be something hidden there that you might not want to see.

When you think back to how many spooky films have things hidden behind blocked up doorways!! I'm not surprised that thought has slipped in to our subconscious. I now wonder if that was another part to my initial reaction?

Thanks very much for visiting, it is good to see you again. :-)

Carrie Burtt said...

Susannah, i just love this post....so thought provoking....this photo makes me think of how sometimes we are not meant to take a certain path.....thank you for all the kind words over at my blogs. :-)

Susannah said...

Hi Carrie,

that is a really good point (and one that dawned on me too after writing this post.) Sometimes it is in our best interest that some doorways are blocked.

Good to see you. x

walk2write said...

First time for me here too. Instead of someone's entry being blocked, I thought of a former neighbor who cut a hole in his fence so that we (my two brothers and I) could slip through and easily access his swimming pool when he and his family were out of town. Otherwise, we would have had to walk all the way around the block and enter through the house. My oldest brother took care of the pool and their dog when they were away so it was a great exchange.

Susannah said...

Hi walk2write, it is good to meet you. :-)

What a wonderful story and so nice to have a positive interpretation of the photo.

Thanks for visiting, please drop in again. :-)

margoroby said...

Hi Susannah,
Met you on my blog, so have come over to visit you. Love the photograph. My immediate response [aside from how beautiful the stone is] was to wonder what lies on the other side. I'm off to check your other blogs!

Susannah said...

Hi Margo, thanks for visiting. :-)

That is interesting that you wanted to see what was behind. (Shows an enquiring mind.) lol

Actually now you have me wondering?

Hope to catch up with you at some of my other blogs too. x

Gypsi said...

Lovely door photo and sentiments!

Susannah said...

Thanks Gypsi. :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails