Wednesday

Thinking About The Journey

"Pursue some path, however narrow and crooked,
in which you can walk with love and reverence."
- Henry David Thoreau


You see, I collect trees. . .

They grow in pots, these saplings I've rescued from their inopportune growing places. I give them life, tend them, and watch them flourish.

These trees hold a vision for me. Of a day when I will own the land to plant them in. Land that will become a sanctuary for nature and all her living things. A place that we can all put down deep roots and grow.

Yesterday I was walking in the garden and found this little guy, my latest rescue. The grass in our garden had been left longer than usual before it was cut this time, and there among the grass I found this seedling growing. It must have sprung from the squirrels winter stash, buried in our garden and forgotten about.

If we had been on our usual schedule, the seedling would have been mowed and never seen again. If I hadn't spotted it before the mower got to work later that day, the same would have happened. But I did see it. And I carefully dug it up and planted it in a pot, and it found a home with my other trees.

It got me thinking. It seems to be part of our human nature to have dreams, things that we are heading toward, it appears that is the way of life. Things move, life evolves, and if we have an idea of where we want to go, it helps to guide the unfolding. But I realised that it must never interfere or get in the way of life lived right now. Because life in the moment is what we have.

However wanted our dreams and destinations may be, they may never come to pass, and we must be okay with that knowledge too. We must always be willing to adapt and not get too fixated on outcomes. There can be a tendency to slip into being so busy longing for the destination, that we don't enjoy the journey. But, the journey is all.

The journey IS our life.

So yes, let's steer our lives in the direction we want to go, but never forget to live every moment along the way! And right now my mini arboretum of rescued trees are blowing in the breeze, drinking in the sunshine and doing fine. :-)

Do you have a dream? Do you have anything that symbolises that for you?

Photo and words - Susannah Bec.

18 comments:

Jade said...

Wonderfully elegant words of wisdom. I agree and often have trouble being too future-oriented. This post reminds me to enjoy the journey and not daydream away my life :)

Susannah said...

Hello Jade, I think at times, we all need reminders of that.

I think I know it and then catch myself off in the future and missing the moment. It helps to keep bringing ourselves back to now, to what is. Otherwise we really are missing out on 'where it's at'. :-)

Life is here and now.

Always good to see you. Thanks for popping in. x

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Wise words, Susannah, and I so love the idea of you rescuing trees and nurturing them. Lovely.

Susannah said...

Good to see you Sherry. X

Heartful said...

Thanks for posting that Thoreau quote - it really resonates with me. And so lovely to discover your blogs.

Susannah said...

Heartful, it is a wonderful quote isn't it? Thanks for visiting, it is good to see you here. :-) x

rightmotherhood said...

Susannah, as ever your words twang deep chords within me, too. The same dream, but the same realisation: life is the journey; we are living now, and who knows what is around the corner?
It does the soul good to hear echoes and find synchronicities. It does my soul good to hear yours.
xxx

Susannah said...

Alice, good to see you.

Yes, there is such power in realising that it is 'now' that is important. It is actually the only moment when we have any power!

The past has gone and the future is created one 'now' at a time.

The journey is all! - So the best we can do is to travel well and enjoy the ride. x

Jennifer said...

I love that you collect these little trees! When ever I see a tiny sapling I'll think of you now.

I'd have to think about what symbolizes my dream - I can think of a few - but thinking about what trees symbolize to me. Strength, endurance, patience, hope. Life.

Beautiful post Susannah - as always.
xo

Susannah said...

Good to see you Jennifer. I love the fact that you will think of me when you see saplings! What a wonderful way to be bought to someones mind. :-) x

Elizabeth said...

Why does the image of you rescuing saplings not surprise me? It so fits the person I have come to know through your words and images. Dreams are not so much to be chased after, but nurtured and allowed to unfold when and where they will. Your words here, are both wise and practical.

Elizabeth
http://soulsmusic.wordpress.com/

Susannah said...

Elizabeth, thank you. I love the fact that you are not surprised about my trees. :-)

I think that in our online lives we are always sharing ourselves - but mostly we are focusing outwardly, on visiting others and reading what they write. And perhaps we don't think about what we share, as making up the picture that others have of us. Thank you for this comment, it may just trigger a blog post. :-)

Good to see you Elizabeth. x

Eclectic Artista said...

Hi Susannah and friends...great post... This year more than ever, with the events in the world around us and so much information coming at us, I'm needing almost daily meditation of some kind (some kind of deep relaxation and quiet time) and yoga, gardening, bicycling, writing...activities that help me stay present...
Susannah, your blogs are like an oasis of calm and peace! Thanks for what you do!
(PS I save seedings too!) The Earth and Life is so abundant! We are all part of an amazing miracle are we not? Nice to share the journey a little bit! -Mary

Susannah said...

Good to see you Mary and thanks so much for dropping in. :-) x

Heaven said...

Lovely share... writing and joining poetry communities became my recent stop in my journey.

We are like these seeds and plants, always growing and changing.

Nice to meet you~

Susannah said...

Nice to meet you too Heaven, thanks for dropping in. :-)

Wendy Barrett said...

How lovely to happen upon your beautiful blog! This is a very profound post - I loved reading about your saved trees and how you are collecting them. I have a similar-ish dream - to revegetate damaged land in Australia with indigenous species.

Susannah said...

Hi Wendy and thanks so much for your lovely comment.

The trees are still growing, some quite large now, and I am still holding on to the dream.

I hope that you get your dream too, it sounds like a wonderful thing to do.

Wishing you all good things.

Susannah x

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails