We all know that clearing clutter in our homes makes us feel better. When things are in order and we have more space around us it affects how we feel inside. Spring cleaning is good for the soul.
Our surroundings affect us in so many ways.
In dream interpretation a house is seen as a representation of ourselves, and in waking life too, the home can be read like that.
By looking at our home in a different way and with an understanding of its symbolic nature, we can, with a kind of sympathetic magic alter and affect the energy of our home and by correspondence our selves.
Here are ten tips to get your home energised and ready for Spring...
- Clear clutter! If you think of your home as a reflection of your self, you will understand the importance of this. Get rid of stuff or put it in order and tidy it away out of sight.
If there are spots that get regularly cluttered, put a big vase of flowers or a fruit bowl there instead. Don't give it any room to get cluttered.
- Look at what you are holding on to?
Are you holding on to objects that you don't like? Presents or keepsakes from people you have negative feelings about? Are you keeping anything that makes you sad? or that bring unhappy feelings. Do you keep things out of obligation?
Think of these things as having residence in your psyche, taking up space. Think if you really want those things around any more. Things are not people, it is okay to let them go.
- Clean, sweep, polish. Pay special attention to corners and under things. 'Don't sweep things under the carpet.'
- Now you have got your home physically clean, lets move on to think of the things in your home symbolically. Look around at the images in your home. How do they make you feel?
Does your life feels stagnant and boring? Perhaps think of changing the still peaceful landscape picture for something involving movement and excitement.
Life too busy? Surround yourself with peaceful tranquil images.
Are you looking for love? Do your images reflect solitary figures? Replace them with something that says 'love' to you.
- Now some feng shui basics, whether you believe in it or not, the very act of you deliberately placing objects with intent is a powerful one and will have an affect.
Stand in the doorway to any room in your home, now looking inside the far right corner is the relationship corner. Put something there that symbolises a happy relationship for you. Things in pairs are good, healthy plants, use your imagination find something that symbolises that to you.
Now look to the far left corner, that is your money corner! Again use your imagination here!
In mine I have a jade plant (money tree) and standing beneath it is a smiling fat happiness buddha with his hands in the air, he is also a money box and has a slot in the back of his head that regularly gets a pound coin or two dropped inside.
What could you use in your corner?
The centre of a room, or your house as a whole, represents health.
I knew a lady who had chronic illness and pain. I was walking up the staircase in the very centre of her home and noticed that the whole stairwell was filled with etchings of hunting scenes with animals caught in traps. She was seeing suffering every time she passed by. I had to say something, it just stuck out as so obvious. She listened and replaced them with tranquil landscapes that denoted peace to her.
Look at the centre of your home in that light. You don't have to have anything symbolic there, just make sure that it is clean and uncluttered.
- Make sure all the mirrors and windows are clean (I am groaning as I look at mine.) They represent clear vision. We all want to be able to see clearly and for our reflections to be clean and bright. Sorry to be making work for you. :-)
- Open the windows and doors let some fresh air in. Make sure all doors open freely and are not blocked or cluttered. Again think symbolically.
- Now all the clearing and fresh air should have got the place feeling great, but there is one final step to get the place sparkling and to move any stagnant energy especially in the corners.
This is a really interesting exercise because if you listen carefully you can actually hear the results. You can just use your hands, or if you have a small bell with a really pure clear note you can use that too. The object here is to move the energy, disperse it, liven it up.
Stand in a room and clap your hands and listen carefully to how it sounds, you are looking for a loud resounding clap. Now go and stand in the corner of a room and clap your hand there and listen again. In some places the sound will sound dull, a sign you need to keep clapping in that spot until you get a clear sound. Clap up and down, floor to ceiling, until the sound has a crisp ring to it and the dull sound has gone.
Follow the same procedure if you are using the bell. The sound waves move the air and the energy, and you can hear by listening to the tone when the energy is finally clear.
Energy in corners tends to get stagnant and is usually where you find the dull tones. If you have already used the rest of these steps, the energy should be pretty clear anyway.
Also useful to freshen the atmosphere of a room after an illness or argument.
- Now your home should be sparkling and feel very different to when you started. If you want to at this point you can imagine each room filled with a sparkling white light. Make sure to breathe it in and fill yourself up too!
- Take some time to observe your surrounding with the mind set that they are a reflection of you and your psyche. Does your home reflect who you are now?
What can be done to make it an accurate reflection of you now?
Do you want one?
"I will act as if I do make a difference." - William James