7 January 2011

Shall We Stop Waiting For The Magic?

"It is always your next move." - Napoleon Hill
 

A few days ago I was returning a visit to someone who left a nice comment on one of my blogs, when I came across the post A New Year's Epiphany and I was amazed at the response it bought up in me. 

As I began reading, I found part of me screaming, "No, no, don't say that, don't shatter my illusions." But by the time I had reached the end, my initial feeling of dismay had dissolved into a feeling of excitement. I then realised what a profound and powerful piece of writing it was.

 
  I will never win the lottery and be able to quit my job. 
 I will never buy a chocolate bar and find a golden ticket inside.  
There is no knight in shining armor coming to rescue me.  
Prince Charming will not appear at my door, holding a glass slipper.  
Fairy Godmothers and magic wands do not exist.  
I am responsible for my own happily ever after. 
 For years, that used to terrify me. 
 But now, it excites me to no end.
- by VL Sheridan
 
When I analysed the feelings it had bought up within me, I began to understand that however 'together' I thought I was, that subconsciously some of my energy was still tied up waiting for the magic. Now don't get me wrong, I believe that there are moments of magic scattered throughout our journey if we know how to look for them. And that is good, and that is wonderful, and who knows we may well be one of the ones who does win a lottery, or finds a golden ticket!  
 
But what is not wonderful, is putting off the full expression of our life because we are waiting for something; because on some level we are hanging on for our lucky break, our prince charming or our fairy godmother. We may not consciously be doing that, I didn't think I was until I reacted to those words! Then I wondered: what if under the surface that hope is still lingering in other people too and using up vital energy like a tv on standby. 
 
We grew up with childhood tales of magic, fairy tales and happy ever after and part of us still clings to that, as a bright star flickering in the sometimes dark sky of our reality. Perhaps it serves some sort of psychological purpose - but it also disempowers us. While we are still carrying those feelings, those hopes and dreams tucked away under the surface, stashed in some secret pocket of ourself. Then we are functioning below our potential, we are waiting for rescue, for something external to fix things. We are not giving our all to our lives here and now. That is why the end of A New Years Epiphany is so empowering... 
 
"I am responsible for my own happily ever after."
 
We don't need fairy godmothers and magic wands. We don't have to wait for someone or something to give us what we need. We can stop stifling our energy and being good girls and boys awaiting Santa Claus. We can stand up, step into our own power and take responsibility right here and right now for creating our own happy ever after. 
 
 I am up for that! Are you?

"The key to your universe is that you can choose. " - Frederick Frieseke

A New Year's Epiphany it is much appreciated..

16 comments:

Sherry Blue Sky said...

This is so fantastically right-on, both your words and the poem you found and include..........words I need especially, right now. Wonderful, Susannah!

Susannah said...

Hi Sherry. I am so glad it spoke to you too! Love to you. x

nothingprofound said...

"We should enjoy life and be grateful, for we already have all we need."

*new aphorism inspired by this post*

Susannah said...

Hello nothingprofound, I agree with you there, and am delighted that it inspired a new aphorism. :-)

Good to see you.

tamara said...

Hear, hear! So true! I love this blog because it beautifully reinforces (and illustrates) all the writings on the law of attraction (aka 'the secret') that I love to read.

As an aside, since you had a Napoleon Hill quote to start off, I wanted to let you know that there is a site where you can download a free ebook bopy of his famous "Think and Grow Rich"!

http://think-and-grow-rich-ebook.com/

I've downloaded it myself and can vouch for the safety of that site.

Thanks for the reminder that a truly Happy New Year is one that you create for yourself :)

Susannah said...

Hi Tamara, I am glad you could identify with this! :-)

Thanks also for the link, yhat book along with 'The Magic of Thinking Big' were both books that had a really big impact on my parter when he read them.

As always, it's good to see you. x

Laura said...

So true...this moment is the only one we are guaranteed to live, so lets live it with deep intention, compassion and discover the "magic"...the blessings in right now:)

Rajesh said...

I agree to Sheriden but still love the thought of winning a lottery ticket :) Lovely lines, great read on a lousy tuesday morning here in India ;)

Susannah said...

Hi Laura,
Oooh, I SO agree with you!

"this moment is the only one we are guaranteed to live, so lets live it with deep intention, compassion and discover the "magic"...the blessings in right now"

- Well said! :-)

Thanks very much for commenting, I really appreciate it.

Susannah said...

Hello Rajesh,

Yes, I have to agree, I too still love the thought of winning a lottery! I am just not going to wait around for it to happen. :-)

It is really good to meet you, thanks very much for your visit.

Ann said...

This poem made me bristle slightly, not in anger but discomfort realizing I too am still clinging to the desire to have someone or something outside myself fix it. And I too thought I had moved beyond this. HeyHo! Great Post Susannah. Great advice and life philosophy.

Susannah said...

Hello Ann, it sounds like you had the same immediate reaction as me. That is why I found it such a powerful piece of writing it uncovers what is really going on.

Great to see you again, thanks for dropping in. x

Lynda Lehmann said...

These are very wise words and it's so true that we have to take responsibility for our own happiness!

Thanks for sharing the poem and your thoughts on it!

Susannah said...

Hi Lynda, good to see you again. Thanks very much for your comment it is appreciated. :-)

Marsha said...

good gravy, this is amazing stuff. I'm an amateur with an itch to write, and newly retired from 40+ years of working. who knows what I'm doing but I'm...happy. Marsha

Susannah said...

Thanks for visiting Marsha. being happy is the best gift. :-) Enjoy your retirement and your writing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails