29 July 2011

Growing Where You Are Planted

"When you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance." - Lee Ann Womack

W
e can find ourselves in places, or positions, in life that are less than ideal. We are sure that life would be easier if things were different, and they probably would be. We bemoan our lot and feel down hearted and disadvantaged by circumstance.

Which is why I was so inspired when I saw this seed that the birds had dropped, it had begun to sprout in a drainpipe on the outside of our house. It really bought to life the saying grow where you are planted.

There was this little seed having been deposited in the most unlikely and unfortunate place, grabbing hold of life and beginning to grow.

No nice deep bed of fertile soil where it could put down its roots and reach for the sun. But never the less, it was doing its best, living its life... and growing.

I became attached to this little plant. I dribbled water at its roots and when we had really strong winds I tied a bit of twine around the drainpipe to give it support.

I willed it on.

And, though only a fraction of its potential size, it made it. . .

It opened its petals and blossomed!

Surely an inspiration for us! That wherever we are planted, whatever our circumstances, we all have the potential to open our petals, turn our faces to the sun, and bloom!


"Don't let what you cannot do
interfere with what you can do."
- John Wooden


35 comments:

Deborah said...

This is just beautiful!

Susannah said...

Thanks Deb. I was SO pleased that it made it! :-) x

Business IQ said...

Lovely!

Susannah said...

Thanks PP, it is good to meet you, thanks for visiting. :-) x

vivinfrance said...

Nice, clever plant, and wise thoughts from you.

Susannah said...

Thanks Viv. x

Misterio Vida said...

thats the challenge that we should live in whatever conditions we are thrown in ...

Anonymous said...

How gorgeous. It really is a metaphor for the way we should live our lives. I love it!

Susannah said...

Thanks Muhammad and Selma, Yes it really is isn't it! :-)

Thanks for dropping in. x

Jennifer said...

This post made me smile. What a lesson - on so many levels. I'm envisoning a children's book out of it...

Susannah said...

Hi Jennifer, yes a childrens book what a great idea. :-)

I'm glad it made you smile!

Always good to see you. x

Elizabeth said...

I was just browsing and found this wonderful message. The more pictures I take of nature, the more aware I become of the tenacity of life to endure, to become. Thank you,

Elizabeth

Susannah said...

Good to see you here Elizabeth. :-) x

Old Egg said...

What an inspiration this is for us all. Whatever situation life thrusts upon, take it and do your best. I bet you didn't hear the the flower moan once!

Thank you for your welcome visit.

Susannah said...

Thanks oldegg, it is good to see you here. :-)

Brian Miller said...

most def an inspiration...great capture in seeing it...and beauty can sprout anywhere eh?

Susannah said...

It certainly can Brian! :-) Thanks for visiting, it is good to see you.

Raining Iguanas said...

"Grow where you are planted" - I love that photo and the quote. Nice post.

Susannah said...

Thanks R.I. Good to see you here. :-)

Anonymous said...

This really is beautiful. A great lesson from life itself. If that little seed can do it there, then I can thrive whereever I am - a little help from friends makes a big difference though. The flower thanks you.

Vegas Discount Gifts & Shopping said...

Wow this is very true and this message was on time.

"Grow Where You Are Planted"

So very true.

Thank you for sharing.

ShonEjai said...

Beautiful! Loved every line!

Susie Clevenger said...

How beautiful and encouraging...I have that saying "bloom where you are planted" setting on my desk...I have always tried to live by that philosphy

Susannah said...

Thanks everyone for your comments. Good to see you all. ;-)

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Oh. My. Goodness! I hardly dare to breathe. I clicked and this time, magically, it brought me to your page. YIPPEE. Isnt it WEIRD how these glitches come and go. Makes me very nervous when I have a year and a half of writing unsecured on google. Yikes. Anyway, I was so happy to finally arrive here after so long being unable to. Love your little seed story! We are all so like that little seed!

Susannah said...

Yippee Sherry! It is good to see you here, so glad that you were able to get through. :-) x

Beth Morey said...

So beautiful. Thanks for sharing this!

Susannah said...

Thanks for visiting Beth, it is good to meet you. :-)

Arnab Majumdar said...

That's a wonderfully inspiring story for a Monday morning. Thanks for sharing this one :)

Cheers,
Arnab Majumdar
ScribbleFest.com

Mary McClain said...

Susannah, you are an anchor and a lighthouse!
Much gratitude and good wishes to you and all the kindred spirits who connect here!
Love and Peace!
Mary McClain

Susannah said...

Thanks Arnab. :-)


Thanks so much Mary.
It is always good to see you.
Much love and joy to you. x

Rajesh said...

Sue,

We miss you here :)

Susannah said...

Thanks Rajesh. :-)

Hope all is well with you!

Vandana Sharma said...

Nature does find a way to flourish:)

Susannah said...

It certainly does Vandana. :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails